The North Shore Health Care Foundation (NSHCF) proactively identifies opportunities to expand equitable health care and healthy living in Cook County and champions solutions through funding, education, and advocacy. The NSHCF accepts grant applications twice per year through a Request for Proposals process. Submission deadlines are May 1 and October 1.
NSHCF currently awards grants for health, medical training and equipment for projects at the Sawtooth Mountain Clinic, North Shore Hospital, Cook County Public Health & Human Services, Higher Education, Fire Departments and EMS, the Oral Health Task Force and Care Partners (serving people needing palliative care as well as the elderly), and other initiatives that further the vision of “A healthy community for all in Cook County”.
The Foundation has identified three major priority areas to address critical needs in Cook County in 2019 and beyond, including:
Priority may be given to projects that address these needs. Since 1995, NSHCF has awarded $1,000,000.
After each deadline, applications are reviewed by the Funds Distribution Committee. If applications are not complete or do not provide enough information, the applicant may be asked to provide additional information. The Funds Distribution Committee makes a recommendation to the Board and successful applicants will be notified and receive funding by July and December each year. The NSHCF will not fund organizations, initiatives, programs or events outside of Cook County, MN.
**Successful grantees must provide a report of how the funds were used to meet the intended goals within six months of the project completion. Images of the funded program may be requested and are preferred. **
Grant Application Form (PDF, 1 pg_281 KB)
Questions regarding grant applications and complete applications may be directed to:
Valerie Marasco Eliasen, Executive Director
North Shore Health Care Foundation
Grants AwardedFrom 1995-2018 the North Shore Health Care Foundation has awarded $1,000,000 in grants.
Programs/Organizations Funded in 2018 - 2019
All Grants since 1995
- Sawtooth Mountain Clinic - EMDR Staff Training
- Cook Co Emergency Services Conference
- Cook Co Extension Service - Snacks & Packs Program
- Kai-Zen Solutions, LLC - Green Dot Violence Prevention Training
- Grand Portage Health Service - Pool Area AED
- Care Partners of Cook County
- Colvill Volunteer Fire Department - Turn Out Gear
- Human Development Center - Healthy Living Program, Senior Center (Refund after closure)
- Gunflint Trail Volunteer Fire Department - Stair Chair
- Cook Co Public Health & Human Services - Circle of Security Program
- Grand Marais Evangelical Free Church – Restorative Justice Start-Up
- Violence Prevention Center - Prevention Education
- North Shore Collaborative - LOTS program
- Cook Co Public Health & Human Services - In-Home Support Provider Training
- Cook Co Emergency Services - Hovland Dry Hydrant, Phase 2 Ropes Team Training
- Cook County Higher Education
- Grand Marais Volunteer Fire Department - Youth Fire Safety Education
- Sawtooth Mountain Clinic - Giving Tree Travel Cards